[haiku-development] Re: Defining the Haiku UUID for GPT and other uses

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 20:46:49 +0200 CEST

> André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Since it's been five days and there were no objections, I'm going
> > use 42465331-3ba3-10f1-802a-4861696b7521 (BFS1;....*Haiku!) as the
> > UUID for BFS Version 1 partitions on GPT-formatted disks, and make
> > haiku_loader aware of it. Then I'll see if I can reach some of the
> > people that make GPT-aware tools (parted, OpenSolaris, *BSD) and
> > ask
> > them to include this signature.
> >
> > I hope this is alright by you all. If not, just shout!
>
> Works for me. Is there any way to register such a UUID (or UUID
> space)
> somewhere?

Good question, probably Microsoft or int<sub>e</sub>l ;)

Though the (only) added values of UUIDs is they are supposed to be
unique anyway so we shouldn't have to register them to protect them.

I'm digging http://www.uefi.org/ likely they have some registry there.

Interestingly they are citing Linux there, sign of openness :)
http://www.uefi.org/about/

François.