[haiku-development] Re: Default Font Choice In Haiku should likely be changed

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 07:10:24 -0700

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:44 AM, Alexander Bisogiannis
<alexixor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just booted A3 and in the Appearance-->Antialiasing it says "subpixel
> based anti-aliasing in combination with glyph hinting is not avalable in his
> build of Haiku to avoid possible patent issues. To enable this feature, you
> have to build Haiku yourself and enable certain options in the libfreetype
> configuraiton header."
>
> The same text exists in r-42755 wich I downloaded yesterday.

Then something's screwed up - because the (no longer) patented hinting
is enabled in the freetype configuration header - and it appears to
have been enabled back in October 2009. I even remember the discussion
(and cheering) when it was finally enabled again.

Even freetype's own website indicates that there are no further patent issues:

http://www.freetype.org/patents.html

Perhaps a ticket is in order.

- Urias