[haiku-development] Re: Default Font Choice In Haiku should likely be changed

  • From: "SMC.Collins" <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 19:54:23 +0000 (UTC)

Well, that really is nonsense, sorry. You might run your 16:9 monitor
with a 4:3 resolution, in which case text or anything for that matter
will look blurry. If this is the case and you think Droid looks fine in
this situation, it is pure coincidence. But really, running at a native
monitor resolution, the aspect ratio /can/ not have anything to with how
good or bad a font looks.

I have looked at the fonts at the native and proper 1920x1080 on a native
1920x1080 monitor and also with a 19 inch 4:3. These are my observations, I
have asked others for their thoughts. I have given my opinion,I did preface
that this was not a scientific study. I was looking to get feedback on if there
was any desire to perhaps review the fonts settings at all. A question that
still remains unanswered.

Anyway, I just wanted to hear some good arguments, and you've made some
good points since your original mail. But since you seem to have
investigated so much research, can't you recommend some free font other
than Droid? As I said, that one is associated with Android, we might
want to have something less associated with something else than Haiku.

Best regards,
-Stephan

I used the droid and Wey fonts because they were in the optional package
repository and because they worked properly. Some TTF fonts don't. As to what
fonts to use ?? That would require screen shots and discussion. Do you have a
few in mind ? I guess the next step in this process would be to determine if
the default font settings should be changed, no consensus at the moment and
then if they should be changed, how to select the right fonts.conversely maybe
a poll could be taken to see if their is any majority who feel that the fonts
need to be addressed. What would be your next step in the process ? I don't
have a good understanding of how the Haiku community generally goes about
petitioning or changing base system settings etc.

  Sean