[haiku-development] Re: Default Font Choice In Haiku should likely be changed

  • From: "SMC.Collins" <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:54:47 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: Earl Pottinger <earl_colby_pottinger@xxxxxxxxx>
To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:37:57 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: [haiku-development] Re: Default Font Choice In Haiku should likely be
changed

'0Oo' as far as I can remember has only messed me up once, I usually have no
problem telling them apart.

PS. What is wrong with a plain font?

  Its looks like a plain font, and it has the problems with Ii and l. I really
think Haiku could stand a font that looks a bit more luxury/high end. Haiku is
a operating system that espouses high performance. Its needs to look the part.
Not only that but some fonts make Iil easier to discern.

I also read the links about sub pixel rendering etc, while I think that will
help, It's still my opinion that the font should be changed to something that
makes the system look good. I know aesthetics are a user settings thing, but
first impressions are hard to undo. People will Judge haiku " i have seen this
repeatedly in forum discussion son Linux sites" by the way it looks. The most
common assertions I have read are that the UI looks dated, colors etc. the
default fonts don't help that presentation in the least.

Sean