[haiku-development] Re: Default Font Choice In Haiku should likely be changed

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 10:25:40 -0500

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:47:23 +0200, Axel Dörfler wrote:
On 19.09.2011 16:17, Urias McCullough wrote:
Following up myself, I see the cleartype-related subpixel rendering is
indeed disabled by default:

http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/headers/libs/freetype2/freetype/config/ftoption.h#L79

Does Canonical enable this option by default then as well?

If they do, they probably have a license agreement with Microsoft.
Those patents haven't expired yet.

http://www.freetype.org/patents.html

"The colour filtering algorithm of Microsoft's ClearType technology for subpixel rendering is covered by patents. Note that subpixel rendering per se is prior art; using a different colour filter thus circumvents Microsoft's patent claims."

Maybe we could just change the color filter to a lighter gray to avoid patent issues?

http://www.grc.com/ctwho.htm is also good.

Thanks!
 -- Alex