[haiku-development] Re: Debugging

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 00:13:13 +0200 (MEST)

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Christof Lutteroth wrote:

I would like to explore some parts of the interface kit in order to
track down some bugs. How can I print debugging output, e.g. onto the
serial port in vmware?

You can directly use debug_printf() (usage like printf()), which sends the output to the serial port. Alternatively you can redirect the stdout or stderr to /dev/dprintf.

What other methods are available for debugging?

You could as well use gdb. I'd recommend reading the gdb manual (or having it at hand) if you want to do that.

Finally, if you develop under BeOS there is the libbe (/app server) test environment. You can build

  TARGET_PLATFORM=libbe_test jam -q install-test-apps

to get all that is necessary to run it (including several applications). You need to run haiku_registrar and haiku_app_server before you can try the apps. I believe there's also a script to simplify running those. Maybe someone can point you to it.

Could you recommend any sources about debugging on Haiku?

None that I know of ATM.

CU, Ingo