[haiku-development] Dealing with AudioCDs

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku Development ML <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 20:17:52 +0100

Hi guys,

I'm having a look at how Haiku deals with AudioCDs (from an end user POV).

Apparently the cddb lookup daemon uses the folder /boot/home/cd/ to store all the details it finds out as text files with the name "[Artist] - [Album]" and the info to artist, album, CD playing time, and all song titles and their playing time. These text files also get an attribute (CD:key) with an ID to recognize a re-inserted CD. Plus an attribute for artist/album/song (CD:tracks) and an empty genre (Audio:Genre) attribute.

This is the first source for confusion: I kept changing the text file and wondered why the changes didn't take. Then I found out about the attributes...

I see the advantage of using attributes, but IMHO in this case, the contents of the text file should be parsed and used by applications, esp. because:

If a CD isn't found by cddb a generic "Artist - AudioCD" is created in ~/cd/.
... Strange, I swear it _was_ created. After deleting it and reinserting the CD it isn't created any more, though...

Anyway: It makes sense to create these "unknown-artist" files and let the user enter the info by hand. That's not easily possible when the data is used from the attribute.

Then there's cdda, which stores its info on AudioCDs at ~/config/settings/cdda/. These are non-user editable files with cryptic names. Wouldn't is simplify things, if the cddb method, files and locations were reused? You could still have a user open an un-identified CD and fill in the artist/album/track attributes and have cdda convert and merge that into the text file.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de