[haiku-development] Current status of Apache Harmony port to Haiku - javac and other tools now available

  • From: Dhruwat Bhagat <unitedronaldo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 22:08:38 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
    I had mailed last week on the progress on Apache Harmony port to Haiku.

I think some people might have missed it so I am posting it again on a new
thread.

I have now updated to build process so that it now compiles the java tools
(which includes javac) as well.
I have uploaded the latest binaries on haikuware.com again.

Also,  you can now directly compile harmony from ant, provided you have harmony
binaries to run ant.
This
 takes care of the chicken-and-egg problem of using ant to build harmony
 when you don't have java available in the first place.

I have tested this by using the harmony binaries to compile the harmony sources
sucessfully.

However, there are a few issues:

1.
 This release would still work only with a post-Alpha3 installation.
This is because of the better pthread API support post -Alpha3.

2. Also, you will need a gcc4 or hybrid installation, as this release is
compiled with gcc4.
There was some issues with the preprocessor macros that prevented me from
compiling for gcc2 .

3.
 Although harmony on haiku normally runs fine, it sporadically hangs up
on longer runs and doesn't exit cleanly when you kill it . I ran into
this issue when when running ant.
Which would usually finish
normally, but would sometimes hang up in the middle. The threads start
yielding and never stop doing that. So I would have to kill and restart
build process.

I think the current source repository will not hold up well as it is currently
set up on my home NAS.
So maybe we should move it to a free repository online, like github, or
whichever place seems more suitable to the interested in its development.

They could take commit rights to the new repository and the maintainers
of the Haiku project could help decide who should get them.

Also,
 There is a GCI task for creating a Haikuport that is yet to be
submitted which has Jack Laxson and me as mentors.

I would
submit it once its steps look good so we can have a student build a Haikuport
that can be used by interested folks.

Regards,
Dhruwat