[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:27:10 +0100

Am 20/01/2013 20:20, schrieb Stephan Aßmus:
I think if no compelling argument had been made (there was the one about
moving being more frequent), then the argument about conforming with
other systems is in my eyes quite the strong argument.

Only if there are a) good reasons to solve it this way, and b) refer to a basic commonly used feature.
Otherwise it's a pretty empty argument.

Since resizing windows at their border IMO neither fulfills a) nor b), I can't really agree that adopting this would improve Haiku in any way, or even make it easier for people to like/adopt it.

In Haiku windows are usually used differently from other platforms (usually not full size, many more dedicated single purpose windows thanks to Tracker's spatial mode, The short window title tab bar). It only makes sense optimize the window handling to the different situation, instead of mimicking random features of other platforms.

Maybe I have another arument pro changing the border behavior to resize:
I would actually love to get rid of the window border width, if it were
easily done. Maybe some day. It greatly reduces visual clutter. And when
they are gone, there is no way that the "border" dragging would
intuitively move the window.

Neither resizing. If there is (almost) no border (similar to windows in standard Linux distributions like Ubuntu), the border should not have any functionality, as it's only annoying to aim for it, or even accidentally click on it.

Then the only way to resize a window would be via its resize knob (if that is there to stay), or Ctrl-Alt: as much as I like thinner borders visually, you'll lose usability one way or another.

Since we already have decorators, it can be your decision whether you want them or not.

Bye,
   Axel.