[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 09:18:04 +0100

Hi John!

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 00:39:39 -0500 John Scipione wrote:
> I understand that you (Ingo and Humdinger) are partial to the current
> behavior so here is my new idea. What if I were to make the window
> borders perform a resize instead of a pan with no keys held?

I have no problems with that, not having moved or resized a window by
border/corner for many months now. Also, new users will find that
easier, because, as you say, their other OS probably does it the same
way.

> >>To graphically show those zones instead of border highlighting and
> >>changing the mouse pointer is still a good idea.
> >
> > +1. The lame border highlighting was just me being lazy.
>
> I feel that the border highlighting and the zones concept are both
> confusing. The best way to indicate a pan or resize is solely through
> the mouse cursor.

The zones have one big advantage over pointer changing and border
highlighting: With the latter, you only have a visual feedback what
right-click-dragging will do at the current pointer position (the
direction of the resize). Zones tell you exactly where you have to move
the mouse to achieve the intended action ("Ah, a bit to the left and I
can resize in the north-west direction.").

> Why would ESC cancel a drag? Just lift the mouse button. Maybe I'm
> missing something...

You miss that when you have dragged/resized a window and release the
mouse button, your window will have been moved/resized. Pressing ESC
could snap the window to it's position/size before the drag was
initiated. :)

> Thanks for listening,

Right back at you! And for the recent API docs as well.

Regards,
Humdinger

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette
        http://haiku-gazette.blogspot.com