[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 12:10:52 -0500

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 4:26 AM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>You can use the secondary (right) mouse button to resize just as
>>before although there is no indication that this will happen until you
>>click the mouse button; you just have to know it is there -- that's
>>what I meant before about the RMB not being discoverable.
>
> I introduced the border highlighting because it is needed. Humdinger and I
> were hoping you would replace/improve the indication, not remove it
> altogether. That seriously cripples the feature IMO.

Oh dear. Worse come to worse we can bring the border highlighting
back. Try the current functionality out first and see if you think it
is acceptable.

I removed it because I am trying to show what action will take place
via the mouse cursor only. Since this is a RMB action there isn't a
good way to indicate the action until you click. This is one of the
reasons I oppose RMB drags in the first place, they have poor
discoverability. The only reason to bring the border highlighting back
is to improve discoverability but it doesn't tell you too much since
it still won't indicate the RMB action, you just have to know it.

What we really need is a key combo that displays the resize arrows
before you click. I thought if we used option for the window
management instead of ctrl+alt we use control then to show the resize
arrows (following the pattern that ctrl+LMB == RMB) but apparently
option drags are already used and therefore not an option here.