[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 17:25:44 -0500

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM,  <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> See my argument above, using the RMB to perform a resize reduces the
>> overall consistency of using Haiku. The user can no longer rely on the
>> LMB performing actions and the RMB performing context menus forcing
>> them need to try RMB to perform actions. This is a net loss for
>> consistency.
>
> This is not true. For example, the RMB is used to directly jump at a position
> in scrollbars. You can right click the tab/border/knob of a window to send it
> behind other (just the opposite of left click that brings it to front) [note
> this also allows you to see the resize cursor, helping discoverability of
> resize operations). The RMB can even be used to click most buttons and other
> controls, when there isn't a menu to display. There are likely some more uses
> I don't know off yet, but I'm sure other people will point at them.
> We have some examples of using modifier + click (such as option + double
> click on an icon in tracker to open it and close the parent). This feature
> comes from Mac OS, where the single button mouse enforced it. I don't know of
> any other case in Haiku, and I can't think of any case where we do modifier +
> drag. On other systems there are some cases of modifier + drop (when dragging
> files around, to decide if you want to copy or move them). I think our menu
> that popup on RMB drag is clearer than using cursor overlays.

Can I assume that these cases were added in Haiku and were not in
BeOS, or did they exist in BeOS? I feel it is a mistake to break the
mental model of LMB == action while RMB == context menu although I
guess that is a higher hill to climb if there are other examples. The
fact that I didn't know about them speaks of their discoverability
though, i.e. they are not discoverable.

Anyway, I guess that puts a dent in my consistency argument. Earlier
you said I am afraid of the RMB, in a way yes, it is a frightening
thought that LMB and RMB both perform actions since it means that
there is no consistency with regards to mouse buttons and what they
do. What's next? Double right-clicking files to open them a different
way or opening a context menu with the LMB? As a user I have no
guarantees to which button does what since both mouse buttons are used
in different cases.