[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 22:40:15 +0100

Am 22.01.2013 21:08, schrieb John Scipione:
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 2:54 AM,  <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[And in general my whole attraction to Haiku is that it replicates BeOS
behaviour, which I always found intuitive and congenial.  Haiku has so
far done an excellent job of remedying many of BeOS's original deficiencies.
Gratuitous fundamental changes in the GUI would not be welcome, though.]
I meant to get back to this aside before so I'm doing it now. Haiku is
not BeOS, it is inspired by BeOS and is compatible with it, but is not
required to emulate it exactly, it says so right on the front page.

First of all we have to release R1 as soon as possible.

BeOS GUI is 15 years old and reasonably consistent, optimal and polished. It was designed by professionals as a whole conception of the modern system. That's why we have enjoyed and enjoying using it. Nowadays it is obsolete but still perfect for us. Anybody, who thinking that he can modernize it with such micro-injections of botox should look on our Frankenstein - notification windows and honestly ask himself: -"Is it natural here?" ;-) Yes, we need a modern GUI conception. But this is the task for post-R1 time. IMHO.

There is no obligation to reproduce BeOS's behavior exactly, if you
want that you'll have to start your own project.

Huh?!

---
Kind Regards,
  S.Zharski