[haiku-development] Re: Cross platform developing & building apps

  • From: julun <host.haiku@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:42:35 +0100

Hi,

Mauro de Wit wrote:
Hi all,

I was wondering if it is possible to set up a cross development environment on Linux. Not for building Haiku itself, but for developing apps. I am not very comfortable developing in BeIDE or just a bare texteditor with GCC and jam. I am working on an app right now (a dock like app, what a surprise ;-) -> Dock wnb <http://www.bebits.com/app/4591>), and have the feeling I could develop a lot faster if I would have code completion, error checking etc. As a Java developer I am very spoiled with Eclipse and all of it's features.

Is there a way to use a GCC in Eclipse/Netbeans on linux (whith C++ plugins) and develop apps or Haiku? I think doing the cross compile is not a real problem. But will I have code completion and other stuff?

Of course the only drawback would be that the binary should be copied to a running instance of Haiku first before testing.

What do I need to get started?
- GCC cross compiler for Haiku which runs on linux.
- A copy of all libs from Haiku
- ?

I do most of my Haiku related work under Linux and I use Qt Creator as cross development IDE. I once made a small movie to show it of at work. You can find it here: http://julun.de/haiku/QtCreator-Haiku.avi

Please note it's running at 1600x1200, so it might look broken at lower resolutions. I can post some more instructions on how I've set the environment up if there is interest.

Regards,
Karsten