[haiku-development] Re: Crediting 3rd-party software in AboutSystem

  • From: scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 10:20:39 -0800

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Augustin Cavalier <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 1/5/2015 12:56 PM, Adrien Destugues wrote:
>
>> These fonts are included (as packages) in the default image, however
>> they are (currently) not dependencies of the Haiku package. Should we
>> add credits to Haiku's AboutSystem for all packages bundled in the
>> default image, or only for dependencies of the Haiku package? or only
>> for things that are included in the Haiku package itself (in that case
>> we should remove Freetype and a few others from this list)?
>>
>> How do we credit things that are not in AboutSystem? Is the copyright
>> metadata on packages enough?
>>
> This was already brought up before in my AboutSystem patch [1]. The
> concensus was to leave all the things that were dependencies of the Haiku
> package, and remove the ones that weren't dependencies (even if they were
> installed by default), IIRC.
>
> -Augustin
> [1]: https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/11015

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/1222 (<==wow was that really 7 years ago?)

The AboutSystem should just be listing a single copyright notice for each
package that ends up installed on the final system, whichever one that is.
So for anything that is now outsourced, those "should" get pulled in when
their packages as installed correct?  If so then those should be able to be
removed from being hardcoded into AboutSystem.cpp, if/when all the
oursourceable packages are outsourced there should be little or no third
party copyright notices left in that section correct?

Perhaps try auditing a built Haiku checking the AboutSystem and look for
any that show up twice, then fix those.

-scott