[haiku-development] Re: Creating or porting an IDE [was Re: What's the status of Haiku?]

  • From: Edward Robbins <edd.robbins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 19:36:16 +0100

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 31.08.2014 um 17:01 schrieb Earl Pottinger (Redacted sender "
> earl_colby_pottinger@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > What would a good IDE for Haiku look like and what features are really
> needed?
>
> An IDE needs to be better than what we have now. To me this means that
> there is a lot more, well, „integration“. And by that I don’t mean to put
> make file management into the app, or GCC error and warning parsing, or
> everything in a single window.

Ok, this is just hypothetical, so: If everything is going to be in separate
windows can they at least be dockable or with a parent window, or at least
have this configurable? It's really annoying to find that some of windows
from your program are visible but others are hidden behind stuff, and you
can see your web pages and desktop behind the program you're using because
it's got multiple windows. Having this as a configuration option shouldn't
be very hard (compared to the rest of writing an IDE) but going one way or
the other will annoy a lot of people.

> An IDE needs to use a compiler as a library (so probably Clang, not GCC).
> And it needs to have full knowledge of the build-system (jam integration),
> so it sees the code like the compiler sees it (regarding defines and
> includes).

While you're talking about build systems, make and automake integration
would be good too - supporting just one build system or using a custom
build system is where most IDEs fall down IMHO.

> I would like the features that are possible by that, like
>  * error highlighting as I type
>  * code completion
>  * looking up declarations
>  * finding /all/ places where a method is called
>  * refactoring (at least renaming)

A tiled window/widget layout designer? Wasn't there something like this
around at some point?