[haiku-development] Contribution suggestion

  • From: SoulHunter <hammation@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 15:50:29 +0000

Hi everyone,

Since i am a long time haiku fan and feeling guilty for not contributing, I
set up a laptop running Linux and a haiku VM (revision 45998 gcc4
cross-compiled from linux) under virtualbox. I didn t do any C/C++ for
several years and it was in the university back then and now I work mainly
with Java.

So here is the situation, I wanted to start with the simplest exercise,
tweaking the deskcalc application but I found that the buttons layouting
quite odd and not so intuitive.
For example there is the "BS" button, which took me few seconds to figure
out it was a "del" equivalent and not a math function wondering why it was
not labeled as "del" or simply a left arrow (unicode char 2190) like in
real calculators. Another example is "exp", which caused my confusion with
E (10^), because for me it should be "e^x" and "Exp" (10^) or litteraly
"10^x" (with sup little x if possible), again with "sqrt", for me it should
be the square root symbol ...

The trivial question here, are my assumptions and suggestions truly
personal and based on my experience or could I try to tinker with deskcalc
to separate the use of the key labels as key codes like it actually does (
the method is _ParseCalcDesc inside CalcView.cpp) and submit a diff patch
here ? Or we could discuss about this further ?

Thanks in advance