[haiku-development] Re: Contribute to the Haiku NFS implementation

  • From: Brian Landsberger <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 17:31:03 -0800

Thank you very much François, I'll take a look at that and get back with you in the next week or so. For what it's worth I'll be on the #haiku-dev channel with the nick bjl-.

Cheers,
Brian

On Mar 3, 2010, at 3:31 PM, François Revol wrote:

Hi Brian,

        My name is Brian Landsberger, and I have recently become interested
in the Haiku Operating System. As a Software Engineer in Test at
Isilon Systems I recently built a general-purpose NFSv3 library in C+
+
that used to create a userland NFS client, a torture test suite, and
PCAP data analysis application. While recently test-driving the
operating system I found some bugs in the NFS implementation, and so
asked around on the Freenode irc channel about whether or not there
was a need for NFS developers in the Haiku project. Although the bug
found was recently patched, it seemed as though the project was
looking for people to contribute to a v3/v4 implementation. Please
let
me know how best to proceed.

Sorry I didn't answer you directly.

Indeed, the NFS implementation currently in svn is only for version 2
of the protocol, doesn't support caching, and probably still has some
bugs.

Which is why I was thinking about going for doing one for v4 from-
scratch.

IIRC, v4 removes a lot of old stuff from the protocol, and adds
interesting things like a mount-less discover protocol, an uri scheme
and xattr support (though the namespace isn't standardized).

But if you have a working v3 implementation feel free to try and port
it to Haiku.

You'll want to have a look at existing filesystems, including the
custom network fs Ingo wrote. You should be able to reuse your C++
code, as the kernel has C++ support (though no RTTI or exceptions, at
least not by default IIRC).
Using the userlandfs server you should be able to easily test the code.

François.