[haiku-development] Re: Congratulations - Haiku actually BOOTS natively on MacBookPro

  • From: Vincent Duvert <vincent.duvert@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 09:16:54 +0100

Le 9 mars 09 à 04:30, Zenja Solaja a écrit :
Every month or so I attempt to boot Haiku natively on a MacBookPro (C2D Oct 2006 generation), and today was the very first time Haiku actually booted to desktop (with Rev 29458). To install Haiku on MBP, I used VMWare Fusion (bootcamp mode allows access to physical disk partition) and Zeta (there is probably an easier way, but this works for me), and the ATA driver.

Thanks for the report ! I have a Mac mini Core Solo (2006 gen), and I regularly test Haiku on it (installing from Linux) and until now I was just getting a hang after the blue background and the cursor appeared (with the ata bus manager - with the ide one it stops after the disk icon at boot).
I will give it another test with later revisions.
This is a status of what works:

Sound - Media kit says that it identifies Intel HD audio, but no sound comes out of speaker or headphone - may need to play with channel settings

IIRC, this is a common issue : Linux had the same behaviour (detecting the card but not playing any sound) before it was fixed (I'm not sure about the issue though). Windows also does not make any sound until you install the BootCamp drivers.

By the way, if you are using rEFIt to choose what OS you want to launch at boot, you can get rid of that ugly "BIOS-based OS" generic icon used for the Haiku partition ;-) Just put an icon named "os_haiku.icns" in the folder /efi/refit/icons of the Mac OS X partition, reboot and see the result. For instance, my boot menu looks like this : http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/161/img2563.jpg (Yes, even if it does not boot, I made an icon for Haiku :-p )

Vincent