[haiku-development] Re: Compressed folder for Alpha3 or later

  • From: "mmlr@xxxxxxxx" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:43:24 +0200 (CEST)

On June 8, 2011 at 1:54 PM Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> Earl Pottinger wrote:
>> Reading mailing list it seems you have a handle on the problem, but
>> just incase I will ask anyway:
>> It is possible to setup a ram drive that reads in a compressed image off ...
>
> As soon as package management support is in place, virtually all software
> on the CD will live in compressed packages.
Besides that you can just
Pottinger wrote:
>> It is possible to setup a ram drive that reads in a compressed image off ...
>
> As soon as package management support is in place, virtually all software
> on the CD will live in compressed packages.

Besides that, you can just unzip such packages in-place during boot as the
write_overlay is already working as a "RAM filesystem" anyway (meaning the CD is
writable, otherwise the things you could do on the LiveCD would be rather
limited). Once we have plenty of room available on the CD again, we should also
consider zipping up /system and, if RAM permits, unzip it to /boot early in the
boot process. This way all servers/add-ons can be read as one flat file, which
even in my very non-optimized preliminary tests considerably sped up LiveCD
boot.

Regards
Michael