[haiku-development] Compressed folder for Alpha3 or later

  • From: Earl Pottinger <earl_colby_pottinger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 04:38:31 -0700 (PDT)

Reading mailing list it seems you have a handle on the problem, but just incase
I will ask anyway:

A possible method to save space on a live CD.
Last night I had an idea which I am wondering if it would be useful for packing
more files onto the live CD.
It is possible to setup a ram drive that reads in a compressed image off the
boot disk while still booting off a live CD, the resulting ram drive can
contain folders that are soft-linked from the boot CD.  When I examined my
version of Haiku I found that /boot/develop /boot/apps /boot/system/docs are
all folders that could be treated like this (none will be accessed before the
system is well booted).
A good driver for this could be AGMS ramdisk, the only problem appears to be
the memory footprint.  While the CD storage needs could be reduced by 70-100+
MBs, the memory footprint of the OS will increase by at-least 128MB.
Another possiblily is my own driver CRAM, while it does not support compressed
images properly yet that is mainly because of a problem with  the write-back
function causing me preformance problems.  If instead I set it up to be
read-only and use a set of prepared image files I can reduce the memory
footprint to less than 16MB, but at the cost of far slower access.
What do you guys think?  Is a bigger memory footprint worth a smaller CD
footprint?