[haiku-development] Re: CodyCam?

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 21:01:30 +0100

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 01:27:41PM -0500, Andrew Hudson wrote:

> >Subject: [haiku-development] Re: CodyCam?
> >

> >On 13/12/2014 18:22, Andrew Hudson (Redacted sender hudsonco1@xxxxxxx
> >for DMARC) wrote:
> >> Is there any scenario where CodyCam can be made to function? Do I
> >> understand correctly that Haiku supports USB 1.0, so are there any
> >> older USB 1.0 camcorders that are compatible with CodyCam?
> >
> >CodyCam is supposed to use webcams.
> >
> >The only models that ought to be supported are Sonix clones.
> >There is code in the usb_webcam driver to support UVC but I don't know
> >how well it works.
>
> I'll buy an old Sonix webcam and test it. If it doesn't work and if there are
> no plans to
> fix it, maybe we should remove it for now. With a new webcam it would be very
> useful, but otherwise
> it is just taking up space.

The binary takes 196K unpacked, and is compressed as it is stored in a
package. So I would say it is not taking that much space.

I think it can be made to work with other video sources such as DVB-T
tuners, for example, or DV cameras over firewire port (but I'm not sure
if our DV stack is working, I don't have the hardware to test that).

I'd prefer if we fixed the missing part of the USB stack (isosynchronous
transfers) so we can support more webcam models. Note that this is not
related to USB 1/2 (we handle USB2 just as fine as USB1, with that same
missing feature in both), and is also needed for anything else
"realtime" over USB, such as USB audio, for which we have an otherwise
working driver.

--
Adrien.