[haiku-development] Re: Coding style conflicting with API

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 14:34:31 +0100

On 11/18/2012 12:58 PM, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
Am 18.11.2012 um 12:43 schrieb pulkomandy:
Yes. Uppercase looks very 1980, and Be didn't do everything right.
So, all R5 constants stay with B_, and all new constants use k.
How does uppercase look 1980? And lot's of other APIs use uppercase for
constants as well - to be honest,
I can't think of any that uses kSomeConstant. Wouldn't it be way better to keep
it consistent with the BeAPI then?

I'm not sure why Adrien seems to certain, but as Ingo pointed out, we did not make any such decisions yet. I think it makes sense, for the foreseeable future, to stick with B_* constants for the API, and k* within applications.

The API will be broken in R2, and far beyond just renaming constants.
For now we'll have to live with the style mix for this.
So the constants will be changed definitely?
What would one do then if you want to write code that works with R1 and R2?

We didn't make any particular plans yet, but I think the overall estimation was to break things only where it makes sense. It does not make much sense to starts with a completely clean slate; for one, our current API is not that wrong for the most part, and also, it doesn't make any sense to force us and everybody else to more or less rewrite all applications for the sake of it.

Bye,
   Axel.