[haiku-development] Re: Coding Guidelines need update for localization

  • From: "Star's seed" <starsseed@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:26:52 +0200

From: "Adrien Destugues" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Here it is, I'd like to know your advice, before it gets added to the
actual online coding guideline reference.

We should avoid line breaks inside a plain text, since it is difficult to
predict the final result when you are working in HTA. Splitting the text
into lines is a job for a BTextView or something like that (taking into
account the font and the window size)
Even if line breaks are acceptable to create paragraphs. It would be
better if we have 1 B_TRANSLATE per paragraph. Then, you don't
loose all the text when a little update occurs in the souce code (just a
sigle paragraph).

Here is a example from HTA :
"Launch the DriveSetup utility to partition\navailable hard drives and other media.\nPartitions can be initialized with the\nBe File System needed for a Haiku boot\npartition."

It would prefer something like:
first :
"Launch the DriveSetup utility to partition available hard drives and other media."
and second :
"Partitions can be initialized with the Be File System needed for a Haiku boot partition."

Best regards