[haiku-development] Re: Checking consistency of used strings

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 11:26:19 -0800

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 10:17:14AM -0800, Jorge G. Mare wrote:

> Like Ingo mentioned, there does not seem to be a standard that everyone
> follows. Given that lack of a standard, I think it would be wise to go
> with the style from what could be considered the more authoritative
> sources. With all due respect for Diana Hacker (the author of your
> handbook), in this case I would vote for Random House and Oxford.

I really don't see much remaining disagreement here.  Oxford, Random,
and Apple seem to say almost exactly the same, with the exception of
'last word capitalization'.  And menu items and buttons are sufficiently
different that it probably never occurred to the authors of the first two.
How often do you see a book titled "Robert, Go To..." or the like? (:-))

What I was originally objecting to was lower-casing an important word
like 'always' because it is in the wrong place.  None of the style
guides actually suggest that, so I think we can forget it.

Cheers,

-- Pete --