[haiku-development] Re: Checking consistency of used strings

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:37:57 +0100

On 2009-12-03 at 12:21:02 [+0100], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Funnily that doesn't match what Koki's "authoritative references" say
> > (the
> > last word part). Not that Oxford is particularly American, but Random
> > House
> > seems to be. Which kind of supports the point of the Wikipedia article
> > quoted (that there is no standard title case).
>
> That there seems to be no official title case, doesn't seem to hinder
> anyone using it.
>
> > What were the arguments against sentence case again?
>
> I only have one:
> Consistency. Every application out there, and in our repository, uses
> title case. All other operating systems (and thus all GUI applications
> we may port, ie. Firefox, Qt apps, etc.) use title case.

Yeah, different versions of title case. Which is quite the opposite of
consistent, isn't it?

Including ports in consistency considerations doesn't help anyway, since
they follow different style guides.

> Changing this for Haiku doesn't really make much sense to me, just for
> the sake of it.

Isn't the whole thread about the current style not being consistent and
defining one that is?

CU, Ingo