[haiku-development] Re: Checking consistency of used strings

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 17:35:56 +0100

Jorge G. Mare wrote:
Hi Joachim,

Humdinger wrote:

The analogy with the coding guidelines is a good one. I think it's the very same thing. Arbitrary to some extend, but if everyone abides by the rules, consistency ensues. "First and Third words should be Capitalized; middle ones should not" was never proposed, so taking that to ridicule the need for simple rules won't help.

<snip...>

Code readability by programmers should not be the criteria for capitalization that will affect a wide range of users, many io whom have never been exposed to even a line of code. This is really something relative to the English language, not programming rules.

The coding guidelines are not really about readability it's all about consistency. For example the 80 char limit can make things harder to read sometimes. For the HIG it's about keeping consistency in usability and style. If we agree on something we like, there's no need to explain the rules really.

Regards,
Alex