[haiku-development] Re: Checking consistency of used strings

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 11:25:53 -0800

Hallo Joachim,

Humdinger wrote:
-- Jorge G. Mare, on Tue, 01 Dec 2009 08:13:02 -0800:
Capitalization on the basis of the number of words or because the word is the last one does not make any sense to me, and I don't see why we should apply such criteria.

Well, that's in the Apple HIG and in our current (inofficial) HIG.

Sorry, I missed that...

IMHNSHO, this is incorrect capitalization which nobody would use on printed text, and I can't find a reason or logic why it should be used on a GUI.

Maybe because in 3+ word menus/buttons the first and last word tend to be the important ones, I dunno. See "Resize to Fit", "Save as Draft", "Reply to All", "Tracker always First", "Expand new Applications", "Always on Top", "Click to Activate"...

Capitalization is a linguistic concept, and linguistically this does not make sense.

If I am not wrong, in English one capitalizes proper nouns, names and titles (native speakers in the know, please jump in to confirm or deny).

I'd say so. Add to that from the Apple HIG and we're pretty much there:
"In title style, always capitalize the first and last word, even if it is an article, a conjunction, or a preposition of four or fewer

Well, Apple or not, I still don't understand the logic of that particular part of the HIG. Hopefully Darkwyrm, who write our HIG, is reading this and can enlighten the rest of us. :)

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki