[haiku-development] Re: CUPS Port?

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar.adema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:19:08 -0400

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 20:58 +0200, Michael Pfeiffer wrote:
> IIRC when I mentored the failed HCD 2008 CUPS Port effort, option #3
> was also my preferred one.

Ah, now you mention it, yeah, I can remember that now ;)

#3 need some love though, and you'd probably want to replace my
rudimentary PPD parser with the stuff in
http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/src/tests/add-ons/print/ppd , of
which I didn't know the existence at the time :P

> How does GutenPrint http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/ fit into that
> picture.
> It does add support for more printers.

It plugs into CUPS through Foomatic, i.e. a printer definition (PPD)
will have to reference it to specify how to use it.

It might be helpful having a look at the Foomatic database, its actual
content, and look at the most popular printers & the drivers they use.

HTH,

Ithamar.