[haiku-development] Re: CUPS Port?

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar.adema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:44:01 -0400

Hi,

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 20:17 +0200, Michael Pfeiffer wrote:
> I would like to help port CUPS to Haiku. Are there any current porting
> efforts in progress?

There's three things that I'm aware of:

1) There's some code on osdrawer (including a set from myself) that is
the core CUPS functionality, ported to Haiku. It works, but supports
very little printers.

2) There's the old CUPS code still downloadable from
http://www.zeta-os.com/cms/download.php?view.19 that was used in ZETA,
this is CUPS + Foomatic + one of the common hp drivers IIRC.

3) There's code in the Postscript driver that allows a pipe process to
consume the postscript and output something a particular printer can
understand. It uses the cups PPD syntax for picking up what to run, and
I've been able to print to a USB HP deskjet printer using it.

#1 was my initial try, at an early BeGeistert, and at least helped
fixing some minor socket incompatibilities in Haiku ;)

#2 was actually quite functional, but still too much bloat from CUPS in
there that we didn't really need IMHO.

#3 was my idea of how things should probably be. Printer management
basically belongs in the print_server, and the interesting thing of CUPS
isn't really CUPS, but is the printer support. Printer support is
basically just Foomatic + Ghostscript + additional printing software....

So if you're after more printer support, CUPS is the least of your
worries, and Foomatic & friends, is what you're interested in!

(If you look in the mailing list archives, I've posted mail with a lot
of links with the finer details in a previous mail)

HTH,

Ithamar.