[haiku-development] Re: CA certificates, CURL and OpenSSL

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 19:39:57 +0100

On 2010-02-07 at 16:50:41 [+0100], Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Meanwhile, I have also discovered an option in the WebKit CURL network
> > backend to ignore SSL errors. With that turned on, I could successfully
> > log into googlemail and read/cleanup my mail. Logging into gmx.net also
> > worked, but apparently the browser still has some bugs with regarding
> > to frames, since the main email list was missing... :-D
>
> The WebKit CURL backend is probably not something we will want to use
> long term because most of the other ports that previously used it no
> longer do (such as the GTK port.) Plus it is already lacking in various
> ways (which is why the other ports switched.) I think our best option is
> try to use the Chromium network engine, which Maxime and I have discussed
> in the past. The main issue before was lack of wchar_t in Haiku, but
> thanks to Adrien and Oliver that is no longer a concern.
>
> I may try to look at porting the Chromium network engine to Haiku while
> Stephan continues to work in other areas of the WebKit port.

That would be great. I have since resolved the problem and now certificates
work. So it isn't a pressing issue to switch away from CURL. But if it's
lacking as you say (I also saw many notImplemented() methods in there),
then switching away from it could definitely be worthwhile.

Best regards,
-Stephan