[haiku-development] Building Rune on Haiku (x86_64)

  • From: Zack Marvel <zpmarvel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 08:20:11 -0700

Hello,

I'm interested in working on the Haiku ARM port. I have been working on preparing a Haiku image for a Raspberry Pi 2. I successfully built the generic image in my Haiku x86_64 VM and found the Rune[1] tool, but it appears it no longer (?) builds on Haiku.

I started looking into what's going wrong. The mio[2] Rust library is an dependency via reqwests and also doesn't build on Haiku. To reproduce, check out v0.7.7 of mio and run

  cargo build --features os-poll,net

It looks like an event notification interface needs to be implemented for Haiku. It seems like the simplest path forward would be to use poll() for now. However, I found a comment on the discussion board[3] pointing to an implementation of an API similar to kqueue for Haiku, but it looks like it was never merged. I was unable to find further discussion about it.

So my question is, does anyone have Rune building on Haiku? If not, is this change a worthwhile use of time?

I'm pretty new to Haiku, so hopefully this problem is simpler than it seems!

Best regards,
Zack Marvel

P.S. I was surprised to find rustc and cargo already packaged. Great work! Rune is also a really neat strategy for preparing the SD card.

[1]: https://github.com/haiku/rune
[2]: https://github.com/tokio-rs/mio
[3]: https://discuss.haiku-os.org/t/anyone-tried-to-port-slack-to-haiku/7444/17