[haiku-development] Re: Boot screen icons

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 07:31:19 +0100

Ingo Weinhold wrote:
Not really --
--snip

Thanks for that clarification. I changed things to:

Atom            Initializing modules.
Disk + magnifier        Creating rootfs (/) and mounting devfs (/dev).
Plug-in card            Initializing device manager.
Boot disk               Mounting boot disk.
Chip            Loading CPU specific modules.
Folder          Final initialization of subsystems.
Rocket          Boot script starting the system.

When you say some of these stages don't really deserve an icon, how about changing the meaning of the icons in a fashion that would allow every icon about equal time on your average hardware to light up? As a means to troubleshoot, the syslog is needed anyway. (Speaking of which... would it be possible to check if the boot process hangs and after a while display the last few lines of the syslog?)

If it's all more or less eye-candy anyway, we could time it all, so it accelerates to the end. Haiku does boot very fast, but this would boost that sensation even more. IMO the pause at one icon in the boot screen always feels like it's stuck until it continues with the next icon 2 seconds later. Unsettling. :)

Regards,
Humdinger

--
Deutsche Haiku News @ http://haiku-gazette.blogspot.com