[haiku-development] Re: Boot menu

  • From: André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 20:19:58 -0300

Em 15/05/2009, às 19:48, Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

The big problem is getting it all working on SATA drives,

I haven't found this to be an issue yet, and I suspect it won't ever be given our architecture. The BIOS will assign the boot disk the 0x80 port as usual, and the loader will use that to load the kernel plus essential drivers. The kernel will shed the BIOS eventually, but by then it will have the SATA drivers loaded and at its disposal, and regular probing will find the drive port in ACPI/APIC/IHAVENOIDEA parlance.

and also those with EFI/GPT boot sectors.

I'm on it (as you might have noticed).

The latter is tricky because it "fakes" a standard boot block.

It doesn't, not necessarily. EFI has an IPL of its own. If you see an actual IPL on the 1st sector, it's for non-EFI BIOSes, like FreeBSD's pmbr that I linked to the other day.

Even my current partition management software can't read a WinXP drive.

Parted Magic should work for you.

Cheerios,
A.