[haiku-development] Re: Binutils 2.19

  • From: Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 19:40:53 +1000

Ingo Weinhold wrote:

No, to clear up that misconception: gcc and binutils aren't completely independent components. Generally you can replace either one with a different version only to a certain degree. Between gcc 2.95 and 3 the C++ ABI changed significantly which affected both the gcc and the binutils sides. So using gcc 2.95.3 with newer binutils can't be done without patching the binutils -- patches that aren't needed, if you use a supported gcc + binutils combo.

Note, that most likely only certain C++ will be broken -- definitely exception handling -- which might not be that widely used that you would spot problems by just building and running Haiku.

Yeah, I'm aware of the ABI change and why we were stuck with 2.95.x all this time. But this looks a bit more subtle ... are you saying the 2.19 base in svn isn't patched, and that it is expected to work fine with GCC4? I sure hope so ...

But anyhow, seems like I should go back to 2.17 for now.

Rob