[haiku-development] Re: Binutils 2.19

  • From: Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:08:27 +1000

Ingo Weinhold wrote:
On 2009-04-09 at 06:34:17 [+0200], Rob Judd <judd@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Last night I successfully built and installed binutils-2.19 against my
gcc-2.95.3-haiku-081024 native compiler with almost no intervention at
all. It seems to work fine, so maybe we can delete the whole of
binutils-2.17 in buildtools/legacy/binutils completely.

Building the stuff is one thing. Whether it actually works is another. I'm quite sceptical regarding using newer binutils with our gcc 2.95.3. The combo is totally unsupported officially and we risk introducing more and more compatibility problems. E.g. with binutils 2.17 we run into #1768.

Unless you have tested binutils 2.19 extensively -- particularly with respect to RTTI and exceptions (over shared object boundaries) -- I wouldn't really recommend to upgrade to those.

OK, I'll call this a test system over here, and see how it goes. Running 2.19 from BeOS too and compiling/installing Haiku r30034 worked fine so far with no new issues I'm aware of. Besides, I would have thought that all changes to 2.17 would have been applied to the 2.19 code base as a starting point for use with GCC-4.3.3 and maybe someone can verify that.

Rob