[haiku-development] Re: Beta1 and R1 release plan - Marketing

  • From: "Andrew Hudson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "hudsonco1@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 13:07:05 -0500

>Pulkomandy wrote:
>Since there aren't much people interested in the PR side of things

There are others :-)
For Alpha 3 the Haiku Applications Group put together a list of compatible
applications, games, eye candy,
screen savers, etc. This write up came after the official release and didn't
get as much traction as it should have.

Beta 1 is a really important release and deserves special marketing treatment,
it is a big deal. Every new release,
whether software or hardware, should be really obvious about showing off the
new features, and demonstrate why
those features are cool. It helps if you can do it like Steve Jobs and create
excitement and emotions in the process.
In most of the previous releases I don't think we used much collateral to
create excitement. I think we can and should
do more with this release. Haiku is special, let's sing it a better song.

For Beta 1 I propose the following to be integrated into the release.
1) An article that describes new features, how to access those new features,
and why the new features are beneficial
This article will help people understand that Haiku has been active, has very
serious progress to show, and for what purposes
it is usable. This article would take the place of release notes and would be
the first file on the Haiku desktop
2) video content that shows features, with voice over discussion
3) Some professional looking content to help 'brand' the Haiku video content,
I.E. animated Haiku logo
4) Packages that group the following compatible with B1

                Screen savers (to be done)
                Productivityapplications
                Games
                Haikuwall paper (to be done)
Eye candy (to be done)
5) An invitation to developers describing cool projects
                list the development tools
                Pointer to API docs
                Pointer to hello world example
6) An invitation to professors and academics to integrate Haiku into
programming classes
                Interface projects
                OS design principles
                Multi-threading projects

                Gamedesign
7) Optional - some interesting demonstration programs beyond what is already
shipping. Any ideas?? I was thinking of using Hey to
create some interesting looking application scripts for a 'dog and pony' show.
(to be done)

As an nice bonus, A former member of Gobe has agreed in principle to license
Gobe Productive V2.1. The terms have not
yet been set but this sets the way to move GP2 from abandon ware to legal and
supported.

I realize these are not development topics and will create a separate thread on
another mailing list.
Thanks,
Andrew