[haiku-development] Re: Berlios?

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 23:57:11 +0200

On 2009-08-02 at 17:14:54 [+0200], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> We can host the SVN repository on our hosting plan at OsDrawer.net,
> >> interested?
> >
> > I was rather thinking of consolidating the Haiku related internet services
> > on a single server fully administered by Haiku project contributors. This
> > should offer more control, allow better integration (like Trac with SVN,
> > OpenGrok), and additional features (fine-grained SVN access permissions,
> > alternative VCSs).
> >

> 2 days ago, i posted "Poll: Replacing WebFaction with another Service
> Provider"  to the Haiku Inc ML.
> The suggested service so far is :
> http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/rps_offers.xml
> This comes as a recommendation from aldeck, who uses it on a professional
> basis.

Having looked at that offer now, I'm not really convinced, especially because
of the supposedly bad disk performance (caused by the NAS/SAN). I personally
would really prefer to have a dedicated server (which they offer, too), as I
expect quite a lot of disk access with our setup, because of the 4 VMs.

> Here's some info about our current setup:
>
> Provided by DreamHost, free for Not-Profit-Organizations
>  * www.haiku-files.org
>  * ports.haiku-files.org
>  * A few mailing lists

In the first step, I'd like to leave them where they are currently, maybe move
www.haiku-files.org to the dedicated server, as that is more of a required
service, but first I'd like to see how the other services are working and what
the resulting load is.

> Provided by WebFaction, $320USD/year, shared server.
>  * multiple  WILDCARD.haiku-os.org sites, including www.,  dev.,

These are core services and should be consolidated and moved to the dedicated
server.

> By community:
>  * http://haiku.it.su.se:8180/source/
>  * haiku-ports.de  (FTP server access)
>  * OSDrawer.net & haiku-os.it
>  * BeBits/Haikuware
>
> FWIW, our Trac installation does indeed mirror berlios.
> I'm just not sure WebFaction would be powerful enough to provide
> access for devs/anon
> DreamHost isn't capable of hosting our Trac installation, due to
> software installed to meet our demands:
>  * postgresql -- as it's the only viable database supported by Trac
> for a large project, such as Haikup
>  * mod_python -- Greatly improves performance. DreamHost only supports
> FastCGI and is slower by an order of 10.

Well, we wouldn't have to worry about such kind of problems on a dedicated
server.

> One of the biggest issues is finding people willing to perform this migration.
> Another is creating an expected annual budget to encourage fundraising.

I personally worry much less about the funding (as the costs wouldn't increase
by that much) than about the lack of administration. If we have no people
caring for our services, we are indeed having a problem.

cheers,
        Oliver