[haiku-development] Re: Bash and Jobs

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 13:48:47 +0200

On 2007-08-29 at 04:29:03 [+0200], Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On 8/28/07, Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Well, either that or change the SIGHUP handling to leave existing jobs
> > alone. I actually tend towards liking that stuff I fire up into the
> > background survives closing the terminal (as under BeOS).
>
> I REALLY think that stuff started in the background from the shell
> should survive the shell closing.
>
> In regards to your original question, I believe closing the window and
> typing exit should have the same behavior. In this case the behavior
> of exit.
>
> > It would also
> > avoid risking data loss (imagine you started an editor into the
> > background). But I suppose it mainly depends on what you're used to...
>
> I think the least surprising thing is to leave background processes alone.
>
> All systems I've used have worked this way, AFAIK.

Then you apparently don't use bash, because that's how it handles SIGHUP on
all platforms with job control. Note, that some programs (e.g. terminals)
usually ignore SIGHUP explicitely, so they won't be affected anyway, but
you can test it with programs like xeyes and xcalc. Starting them in the
background and closing the terminal will kill them, while exiting the shell
will leave them alone.

CU, Ingo