[haiku-development] Re: Banning Jorge

  • From: Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 13:56:00 +0100

Humdinger said:
> Over years it was proven that not-feeding-the-troll didn't work.

I kindly disagree.

I consider we failed at not-feeding-the-troll. Inteast, we
instinctively feed it.

The last thread after the AboutSystem.cpp commit message is one
another and the most recent proof.
The initial issue was a mistake from our side, but it's doesn't
justify the we feed the troll because we awake him.
Just acknowledging the mistake in the fixing commit and simply ignore
him will have closed the thread faster.
And wasted less energy.

Instead, we're still considering alternative counter-trolling measure(s).
We, as a community, continuously failed at the most proven-one since
long: identify it when you see one and refrain yourself to hit that
reply button.

It needs two sides for a dispute.
It's the same for feeding a troll...

Ban will not solve our issue at handling troll.
In a 10 years old open source operating system community like our,
trolls are inevitable.
Without any doubt, others will comes in the future.

We succeed at staying public for pretty much issue faced by the
community, including this one.
But I fail to see how banning will make us better.

My (last and only) 0.2 cent.
Bye,
  Philippe Houdoin.