[haiku-development] Re: Banning Barrett

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 09:40:50 +0100

Am 13.03.2019 um 19:02 schrieb Alexander von Gluck IV:

March 12, 2019 4:24 PM, "waddlesplash" <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So +1 from me also to Adrien's original proposal. He has been "warned"
enough; he seems completely unwilling to change or have any reasonable
expectation of how discussions should proceed.

I'm not going to let this drag out any longer.
We have the following votes after ~33 hours.

Can we please take our time here? It's the middle of the week and some of us have to work and be with family and have no time to reply in these emotional topics that take careful wording.

I've took the time to read the first two chat logs that Adrien posted links to, and I also saw the comments to waddlesplash's USB3 blog post. And I have to say, nothing I read there would justify banning someone to me. In the first chat log, I saw Barret discussing whether file attributes are such a good design (a valid question, especially when thinking about going multi-user!), and the discussion was technical and civilized the whole time. In the second chat log, Barret is angry for having the blame put on him for media kit bugs in a public comment by waddlesplash. I can feel with Barret on that one. app_server also has many problems and I wouldn't feel great about someone making comments putting the blame on me alone. That being said, I don't find waddlesplash's comment particularily offensive, so I guess Barret's reaction is in a context. Waddlesplash already admitted he likes to pick on Barret and will try to stop it.

I fully agree that some previous discussions with Barret have been very painful, but at least some of it was due to a language barrier, which seems to have gotten better, and Barret himself is aware of the possibility that he has got the meaning of some words subtly wrong (can be seen in the chatlog).

I am with Axel in my impression that things have improved, and what happened just now, would not justify "banning" someone for me. I think that everyone, perhaps especially Adrien, should consider the fact that they may perceive what is being said by others with prejudice. They need to make an effort to look just at what is being said, and try not to read to much intention into it.

Best regards,
-Stephan