[haiku-development] Re: BWebView development

  • From: Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 09:40:19 +1300

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 09:22:55 +1300, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

On 08.12.2011 20:45, Clemens wrote:
On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 08:36:26 +1300, Barrett <barrett666@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sorry i meant, i know that the web+ source should be moved under the
haiku
tree.

No I don't think thats a good idea. Ideally, the BWebView can host
different engines not only webkit. So there should be just an error
message when no engine is installed on the system.

That sounds nice in theory, but I think it's not a good idea in practice. Usually, one is dealing with all sorts of quirks and work arounds until something works just right. Reliable behavior is important. BWebView can be used in applications, which means the developer of the application would have no control over what engine the user has configured. Which in turn is likely to break his application in subtle or not so subtle ways. A consistent backend would be preferred, I believe.

You can simply give the developer more power to decide which engine can be used. However, my point was more that it should be designed modular in the first place so that such stuff could be implemented easier later on.

Cheers,
        Clemens