[haiku-development] Re: BString and UTF-8

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 10:46:21 +0100

Am 03.12.2011 02:48, schrieb Michael Bridgers:
On 12/2/2011 8:05 PM, Pete Goodeve wrote:

Please don't do this.  By all means add UTF-8 methods to BString,
that will be very useful if appropriate. Presumably they would report
an error if the string wasn't flagged as valid UTF-8.  But you must
allow other 8-0bit encodings -- ISO-8859 for instance.

If what you are saying is shared by everyone, then you are correct, what I was planning will not work.

Does everyone agree with Pete?

It is difficult to say where "is the rake in fallen leaves" until you do not step on it. At least StyledEdit, Mail and Terminal may be affected by this restriction. 3rd party IRC clients also operate usually with 8-bits encodings at least in cyrillic area. As far as I heard Chinese have their own Unicode standard.

My meaning is: BString is one of basic types and applying any restrictions on it's content may have dramatic sequences for developers - so they have to use other charcters container classes for their purposes. That "UTF-8 only" restriction looks like unpractical from my point of view.

---
Kind Regards,
  S.Zharski