[haiku-development] Re: BListView/BOutlineListView patch

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:08:45 -0500

On Feb 19, 2008 1:58 PM, Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I meant implementing GetPreferredSize like BButton's one, taking into
> account text length and font, so the containing view can do some layout.
> I looked quickly but it seems it's not implemented, seems R5 doesn't either.

There needs to be a concerted effort to make all the Haiku Interface
Kit classes friendly to the layout system. Ingo has done most of the
work in this area but he is quite busy these days with the kernel so
it would be good for some of us "higher-level" developers to help out
in that area. I don't think there are too many "unlayoutable" classes
left.

Of course maybe before that is done there needs to be some
documentation on the layout system and what it requires of containing
classes (third party developers will need to know this too
eventually.) I started an article about the layout system long ago but
never got around to finishing it for various reasons. I will put that
higher on my list though, as I think changing a lot of the core Haiku
applications to use the layout system would eliminate a lot of font
sensitivity issues.

Ryan