[haiku-development] Re: BFileInterface, BMediaFile And Streaming

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 08:18:40 +0100

Am 07/03/2016 um 13:41 schrieb Dario Casalinuovo:

> 1 - Have BMediaFile able to query plugins with an url, supported
> plugins will return a BMediaIO which will be used to read and write
> the data.
Is there any objection in adding a BUrl constructor to BMediaFile and
add support for this on plugin side?

How would that work with sniffing? I would only use this as a second pass.
Ie. at first, we'll try to open the URL ourselves (it can either be a local path, or a known and support scheme like HTTP), and only if that doesn't work out (for example, it uses a private scheme), then let the add-ons a go. I would probably add another add-on API for that (in addition to codec/container), so that an add-on doesn't have to export the API if it doesn't need it.

BTW one thing that I would like to get rid of some day is the name "plugin"; there are only add-ons in the Haiku world otherwise, and it really doesn't make any sense to call the container/codec add-ons plugins, while all other (even media add-ons), are called add-ons.

Bye,
   Axel.