[haiku-development] Re: BFS's Lack Of Support For link() - hard links

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:24:56 +0100

Pier Luigi Fiorini <pierluigi.fiorini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2009/11/18 Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
> > Haiku's BFS implementation is on-disk compatible with Be's and to
> > my
> > knowledge it's a limitation of the on-disk structure design that
> > prevents
> > hard links from being possible.

Exactly.

> For what it's worth, it's probably time to avoid R5 compatibility on
> some
> things - I know it's not scheduled until R2 but sometimes I think
> Haiku is
> still cloning and old '90s OS...

Because hard links didn't exist in 1990?
The fact is that BFS is the only file system delivering the
functionality we need for Haiku. And it doesn't make any sense to me to
break compatibility just for hard links -- there are way more reasons
to develop a new file system, but that will take some time.

It would make more sense to have a read/write ReiserFS, or ext4, or
btrfs, or XFS, or whatever file system port that you can use in that
case. Beyond backups and VCS, hard links have no real use that I am
aware of, anyway.

Bye,
   Axel.