[haiku-development] Re: BFS fuse driver research (and procrastination)

  • From: Vincent Himmelreich <vnc.hmlrx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 02:14:13 -0400

>> Is anyone else currently looking in this direction?
>
> Actually most of the work needed to implement a BFS FUSE module (for Linux)
> was done as part of the Haiku Code Drive. See this commit:
>
> http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/haiku-commits/2009-July/017726.html

Building bfs_fuse from the trunk works on supported build platforms,
and that of course leaves aside Windows. I'm, uh, sort of trying to
pave a porting path from Windows to Haiku lately. I'm reluctant to
make vaporous statements, but Windows has pretty reasonable 3D driver
support these days even if OpenGL > v1 is still mostly folklore.

It's also a decent small project and might be useful for drive utilities.

I've had a brief look at the fuse container in bfs_shell and the code
is in better shape. It might be possible to patch and build a Windows
fuse driver, but there's a lot more source to read yet. I think it is
all MIT licenced and license-compatible...

> Any reason your email headers say Vincent but your signature is David?
>
> Just so we know what to call you...

I'm going to use Vincent here. I share a first and last name with a
noted defense strategist at White Sands Missile Range, I'm unhappy
about some of the frightening situations that ambiguity has caused.
I've also met many more girls from home who've grown up into strippers
than I need recently, apparently because anybody can google a funny
name. Basically, call me "tired of ill-intentioned strangers and being
a little proactive".

~Vincent