[haiku-development] BFS fuse driver research (and procrastination)

  • From: Vincent Himmelreich <vnc.hmlrx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 18:21:39 -0400

I'm currently reading the Giampolo book, and I'm not sure I'm going to have
time to focus on producing anything useful (my life is not by any stretch of
imagination supportive of this sort of work), but the rumbling about a fuse
module for bfs earlier in the year has had me picking over linux kernel
module sources, as well as looking at Dokan http://dokan-dev.net/en/ and
fuse4win http://fuse4win.4host.ru/ as possible frameworks for killing
several birds with one stone. IIRC fuse4win doesn't seem to currently
support symlinks, but it is otherwise pretty impressive in terms of
simplicity. Better understanding the fuse api itself would be something for
my reading list next.
I'm not quite a fan of the coding style of the befs kernel module for linux,
and the small loc count and amount of reliance on linux kernel headers seems
to point to starting from scratch without any dependencies. That is what I'm
considering investing a little effort in doing. I have to admit I haven't
yet looked over the bfs module in Haiku yet to see if I think the code can
be cleanly factored out, and I'm divided about whether to write in a
portable c, or portable c++ idiom, because userspace performance is already
inhibited (and because I don't have much experience writing high performance
native code anyway!)
Is anyone else currently looking in this direction?

~David