[haiku-development] Re: BFS file system plugin for Total Commander (Windows)

  • From: "Jürgen Wall" <x-otic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 12:46:34 +0100

> > The plugin reuses internal parts of the Haiku file system code
> > with a Win32 layer on top, providing required functions of the Total
> Commander API.
> >
> > The state at the moment is that the attached BFS drives are recognized
> and
> > can be browsed. It would require some few days more to add file read
> support
> > which Peters SkyFS viewer was already capable of,
> > but as time is an issue at the moment and there might be other people
> > interested in that project I decided to offer the current state of
> > implementation to Haiku.
> >
> > The code does definitely not comply with the Haiku code style atm,
> > nor is it homogeneously structured, however I should be able to find the
> time to catch up on that in case there is interest in the Haiku community.
>
> To be able to read from (or even write to) BFS volumes on Windows would
> rock. However I don't understand why something specific to one
> application is being written instead of a file system driver/add-on at
> the system level, which I am sure would also allow Total Commander to
> read BFS volumes. I am not knowledgeable on the subject, but I am pretty
> sure I have read somewhere that Windows can have file system plugins. A
> few years back, the documentation on how to write one was expensive, but
> again I seem to recall that Microsoft was forced to open up these
> specifications. In any case, such a system wide add-on makes a whole lot
> more sense to me, versus an add-on for a single application. Even if
> someone actally uses Total Commander, he would not be able to simply
> browse to a BFS volume from a file requester within another application
> to open a file. (Like for example to open an image stored on BFS from
> within Photoshop Elements.)

I fully agree with you, and have considered this option!
I had a look at an implementation for the ext3 as native windows fs plugin I
found somewhere on sourceforge, but then had the strong impression that I
couldn't manage this complexity in the time I have.
On the other hand it was my first attempt to dig into file system architecture
in general, so I wanted to keep things simple.
However, there is no reason why such a native support couldn't be developed
from the current code base.
As solved a few Windows 7 related issues, like permission right
setting, access to physical drives not published by the windows drive
management and strictly separated the Total Commander functions from the core,
reusing the code should be easy.

> As for hosting the code in the Haiku repository, I think it would be
> misplaced. As such it would not have to follow the coding guide,
> although considering the BFS code it uses should follow it already, it
> seems a little awkward to have a mix of styles.

Actually, I just wanted to have some feedback on whether there is interest at
all, and whether there are people with more expertise to support it.