[haiku-development] Re: B_WILL_ACCEPT_FIRST_CLICK (updated patch)

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 12:56:19 -0700

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 03:03:30PM +0200, Brecht Machiels wrote:

> My updated patch is available at http://www.mos6581.org/20090531_5.diff
>
> >Brecht Machiels <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>Personally, I feel it is up to the user to decide whether a window
> >>should accept the first click or not. It should also be a global
> >>setting, and not something the application should choose. There might
> >>be
> >>exceptions to this rule, such as the Deskbar. However, I think
> >>B_AVOID_FOCUS is more appropriate in this case.
> >>
> >>I know there is not much enthusiasm about changing the BeOS behavior
> >>or
> >>adjusting the API [....]
Damn right there's not...! (:-/)

> Last but not least, can we deprecate B_WILL_ACCEPT_FIRST_CLICK, now that
> the user can set globally? IMHO, it should not be up the the application
> to choose this.

Can I vote something like '-100' on this idea?  Of course it should be
up to the application -- it's appropriate for certain apps, and not others.

In particular, consider my 'MusicWeaver'.  A typical running configuration
has a large number of modules -- often 50 or more -- and most of these
have control panels that can be displayed.  Even keeping the number of
open panels to the minimum needed for convenient control, this often means
at least 10 windows open at once.  Most panels have several controls,
and there is never enough screen real-estate to have all controls of all
panels visible at once.  However, typically  most of the controls can be
set and forgotten most of the time; only a 'Start' button or some such
needs to be quickly accessible.  Therefore I arrange the windows so that
this one is visible, while the rest of the window can be behind another.
This *requires* that the button respond to the first click, as the last
thing you want when playing live (which is what the MusicWeaver is designed
for) is to have to click to bring the window forward first!

On the other hand, I don't want this behaviour on most other apps I
use.  I want my editor window at the front, thanks...   So a thumbs down
on any global setting.

I understood that the intention behind R1 was to replicate BeOS R5 as
closely as possible, so that apps will 'just run'.  Changing default
behaviours doesn't seem to fit with this concept.

                        -- Pete --